Tuesday 22 June 2010

My new project......lost treasure

I obviously have far too much time on my hands (not)! Having recently spotted this 505 Dinghy on a website and realising it was the boat that I admired the most in the 80's at RNIYC, 7623 "The Treasure of The Sierra Madre", I have purchased it and begun it's restoration. Unfortunately it has been sadly neglected and requires considerable work to replace rotted timber and carry out a comprehensive rebuild. It's a shame as the boat has done very little work in it's lifetime so the hull/tanks have no stress fractures at all. I am hoping to have it ready for the middle of August....time will tell.


And that's just the start! 

I still have to do some work on the thwarts and fillets around the CB case and also sort out the floor at the transom where there is damage and water seeping out. A few holes to drill to allow drying to take place........not to mention putting it all back together again with hundreds of £'s worth of timber/epoxy/finishes and completely re-rigging the boat! Centreboard (gybing) and rudder to be repaired and refaired.......bailers to be serviced....everything inside to to be repainted and the hull outer touched up here and there and buffed...
Hmmmmmmm......August 2011 perhaps! Oh, I nearly forgot to mention new road trailer wheels/tyres......

No comments: